Wednesday, October 8, 2008

First Paint Job

I took a normal scary black AR-15 and decided to give it the ability to hide from scary liberals that what to kidnap it. I ordered a set of ACU camo paint stencils (~$20) from one of the paint ball guys that does camo. From Fleet Farm I picked up some Krylon Camo (tan, brown, green) about $15. This is a very flat finish paint.

I should note here that this is the first thing I have ever painted.

First I found a shady spot that was sheltered from the wind. Found a hanger to hang the rifle from. Then gave it a base coat of the tan, applied some stencils, green paint, more stencils then brown paint.

Some things that I would have done differently:
1. Make sure the stencils are secured to the rifle firmly before I paint that section. They tended to peel back on the edges, and you can see several spots where they paint came around the edges.
2. Take more time. I had other things that I needed to get to today and rushed more then I should have. For one thing the layers of paint got a bit heavy, and there is a bit of running. That wasn't too bad. The thing that really sucked was not waiting long enough before grabbing the rifle. The paint would come off in my hand. That sucked.
3. Not enough of the light color is showing through. More stencils at the beginning.
4. Next time, for these colors and the pattern that I envisioned, applying the paint {tan, brown, green} would have produced a better result.
5. Use all of the stencils on the rifle. Then reuse them on the mags.

I am going to go back over it with some of the reverse stencils to fill in some more tan.














No comments: