Thursday, January 8, 2009

Door locks

I have three locks on my door. The bottom two have locks that can be accessed from the outside with a key.
The top lock is obviously there to help secure the apartment when someone is home.
I was just thinking that because I live alone if I hurt myself and needed an ambulance if the top lock was locked they have to find someone to knock the door down, and to do that might even need to find someone to open the bottom two locks.
If on the other hand only the bottom two are locked then they just have to find someone with a key.
All of this comes up because I just about died this morning when I backed up in the kitchen and tripped over the open dish washer door and nearly impaled myself on several knives in the silverware holder. Yes I know, keep the door shut when moving about the kitchen, but there are many other possibilities.
I find this to be an interesting trade off in that it is trading one type of security (physical) for another (allowing emergency personal quicker access to me).

No comments: